MLK Quote

MLK Quote

Nature's Inspiration Movie

http://www.flickspire.com/m/HealthierL433/NaturesInspiration -- Nature's Inspiration Movie: The photographs in this short video are from award-winning photographer, Ken Jenkins, and they are breathtaking. However, this video is much more than beautiful photographs! Peggy Anderson has compiled beautiful quotations from the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, and many others that truly capture the beauty of nature and solitude. Absolute must watch for nature lovers.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Heirloom Gardener

I ended up ordering the Heirloom Gardener Magazine and The Heirloom Life Gardener Book from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds Company . It is all Casa Mariposa's fault as she only directed me, through her blog, to the company's website :-). The website allowed me to browse through one of edition of the magazine, and I quite literally fell in love with it -- it seemed to have lots of information bound together in an 80-page spread; the price is also cheap, about $15 for a year subscription. So, I will share with you whatever valuable information I get from the magazine.

Do you subscribe to any of  the garden/farming related magazines? How are they?


While going through the website, I also came across some very startling but depressing facts: (1). There may be as little as 40 years of farmable soil remaining globally. For every pound of food eaten, 6 to 24 pounds of soil are lost due to water and wind erosion, as the result of agricultural practices, and (2). because of population growth, pollution of water sources, and greater use of water for industry, by 2050 each person on the Earth will have only 25% of the water that was available in 1950. Current agricultural practices use 80% of the Earth’s available water.

I hope we really do not reach such dire state.

5 comments:

  1. And yet the defenders of such practices dismiss the alternatives as impractical. This is what is known as crackpot realism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been very happy when I saw the flower because the spring time flower and plant all kinds of intense love we are entering the period. grass planting landscaping plants is a very tiring job handle. of course, winning money but not a majority of the money is earn see a fortune worth gonca gülün (bayb small rose) Garcia. Subscribe to this magazine in Turkey, though I'd be greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, you are very right. This crackpot realism becomes possible because lots of us don't know about all these - that monoculture hurts; how native plants might help, etc. Before I got into gardening, I was completely ignorant of all these practices which can save the world, humanity. Somehow, we need to spread the message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Levent,
    You are correct. We feel happy and full of love as we welcome spring. Any sort of gardening work is very tiring, I think, but also very rewarding :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to read gardening magazine at our local library at Adelaide.
    But now I probably have to subscribe as we don't have a close to our house library.

    ReplyDelete