MLK Quote

MLK Quote

Nature's Inspiration Movie

http://www.flickspire.com/m/HealthierL433/NaturesInspiration -- Nature's Inspiration Movie: The photographs in this short video are from award-winning photographer, Ken Jenkins, and they are breathtaking. However, this video is much more than beautiful photographs! Peggy Anderson has compiled beautiful quotations from the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, and many others that truly capture the beauty of nature and solitude. Absolute must watch for nature lovers.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Big Thank You

I love getting anything related to gardening (and which has happened only once so far when one of my best friend brought a wild-flower seed-packet from me all the way from Oregon. You can read it here). So, yesterday (4/24) was again a very unique day to me as I received another packet of seeds. Donna of Gardens Eye View and Susie of Life Change Compost were giving away seed-packets in their blogs. I won one of it :-).

Donna not only sent me the seed packet but she also sent a very beautiful hand-written card which you can see on the left-side in the above image. Thank You Donna. I am very humbled and my garden, the bees and I will be always grateful to you for such a lovely gift. I hope one day I will be able to do to you, to your garden and to all others something in return. 

The package contains about 15 grams of seeds which can cover approximately 225 square feet of area. It contains seeds which provide food to about 4000 species of bees that the US has. It includes seeds of Borage, Sunflower, Coriander, Siberian Wallflower, Dill, Coreopsis, California Poppy, Gailliardia, Zinnia, Basil, Cosmos, Purpler Prairie Clover, Gilia, Catnip, Lemon Mint, Black-Eyed Susan, Goldenrod, Hyssop, Bergamot. Does not the seed-packet looks beautiful? It looks like a piece of art to my eyes. 

I already know where the seeds will go -- half of it will go to the bed in the front-yard. For the other-half I am preparing a bed in the backyard. Our drive-way is too long connecting the front and back yard. I hope to put pots all along the driveway connecting the two yards. The pots will contain all sorts of flowers, and thus in that way a high-way of flowers and other sources of nectar will be created for the bees and butterflies between the two yards. But this is a project I have to tackle next year. 

Do you have any good news to share :-)? Are you doing anything special for our bees and butterflies friends? 

2 comments:

  1. I have been planting pollinator-friendly perennials last weekend and will plant more in the coming one: Yellow Coneflower, Butterflyweed, Salvia, and Columbine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lovely combination of flowers and herbs. I think I need to plant more flowers, both for asthetic reasons but also to keep the nice insects happy.

    ReplyDelete