MLK Quote

MLK Quote

Nature's Inspiration Movie

http://www.flickspire.com/m/HealthierL433/NaturesInspiration -- Nature's Inspiration Movie: The photographs in this short video are from award-winning photographer, Ken Jenkins, and they are breathtaking. However, this video is much more than beautiful photographs! Peggy Anderson has compiled beautiful quotations from the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, and many others that truly capture the beauty of nature and solitude. Absolute must watch for nature lovers.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

May I please take this opportunity to allow my blog-readers and blog-friends a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. If you do not celebrate Christmas, then Happy Festivity, of whatever festivals you celebrate, to you. Here is a card of collage of some of the flowers that I grew in 2013.


Weather have been funny. For the last two days (from about December 21), temperature is rising up; yesterday (December 22), it was about 66 degree Fahrenheit (about nineteen degree centrigrade), an unheard of temperature in the middle of December in this part of New Jersey. Heaven has opened its flood-gate; rain pouring down in bucket-loads; a thick blanket of fog has descended.


The trees are bare but green has returned; lawns around the neighborhood are soft green. Seeing so much green, my spring-itch is back and my green-thumb is twisting. I spent about an hour, yesterday, in a garden-store, looking at the seed-racks, admiring all the green-house gadgets, and lusting for all the seed-starter pots and trays. The seed-catalogs have started coming. Just looking at them, my soul is getting uplifted and filled with joy and happiness.

However, such was not the scenery three days back. Snow was everywhere and not a speck of green to be seen. Here are some photos of snowy-days that I took on December 10.


The red-seeds of the Dogwood-tree. Well, I was mistaken -- there were green out there among the evergreen plants but were hidden from the sight by the snow.


Chilly but a beautiful sky. The sky sets on fire during sunrise and sunset.


A portion of the front garden completely covered in snow. However, the snow was not that much, measured by the thickness on patio furniture, compared to previous years. I hope more will come. Snow is very good as it not only helps in restoring the water-level of our underground reservoirs, but also helps in germinating many seeds, killing many bad/invasive seeds/insects, moisturizes the garden soil and loosens them up and also helps in speeding up the compost-process in the compost pile. That was once a bean-tree in the last picture. It has now some pea-plans; interesting that pea-plants do not die even in this freezing cold-temperature.

The trees are standing tall and proud even in the cold temperature. And, I am spending my days hunkered low in the warm house with a mug of hot chocolate, day-dreaming and enjoying my feather-friends. So many of them flock to the bird-feeders and devour the seeds fast. Their call grow loud whenever I get into the garden to fill the bird-feeders, as if they are shouting to each other, "hey, food is here." Some of them do not even have the patience (or shall I say courtesy) to wait for me to leave. They fly almost right into me to get the seeds. Too bad that I do not have any pictures because they do not mind me standing in their middle; but as soon as I bring out my SLR, they all fly away. I guess they do not like that big black camera or perhaps photo-shy.


12 comments:

  1. Wishing my New Jersey Blog friend - A very Merry Christmas and a wonderfully Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the very Merriest Christmas!! Happy New Year my friend!!! Love your garden in all its many winter pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and an excellent gardening year in 2014! Yours photos are very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous images! Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas! And a happy healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.

    It has been a while since I was able to visit.

    Merry Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    Lovely blooms you had this year :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH yeah...it snowed a few days ago. You know the Paterson waterfalls were looking nice after that big charge-up of water!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas to you as well! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year!
    The whiff of spring weather you had came over to us and made havoc here, with storms and floods and chaos, we have had a lot of bad weather lately so I am looking forward to spring too!
    Take care, Helene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi KL, wow, what a change in temperatures in your neck of the woods. I wonder how nature is coping with it?! Wishing you wonderful Holidays and a happy, healthy New Year 2014! Hope your garden will flourish!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really lovely pics! Best wishes to you and yours for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete