MLK Quote

MLK Quote

Nature's Inspiration Movie

http://www.flickspire.com/m/HealthierL433/NaturesInspiration -- Nature's Inspiration Movie: The photographs in this short video are from award-winning photographer, Ken Jenkins, and they are breathtaking. However, this video is much more than beautiful photographs! Peggy Anderson has compiled beautiful quotations from the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, and many others that truly capture the beauty of nature and solitude. Absolute must watch for nature lovers.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Critters and Creatures Everywhere...

I'm joining in the memes hosted by Nature Notes hosted by Rambling Woods, St Germain's and Today's Flowers meme.

The Dogwood and Azaleas were in full bloom. This is in our front-yard; I know our house looks like it's in the middle of a jungle :-P. It's because I like doing wild gardening. I don't like the landscape-type gardening.


Bees and winged creatures love azaleas and dogwood flowers. So many bumble and other native bees buzzing around them. It's a bumblebee moth in the 2nd picture


This is one of the most favorite plants of permaculturalists -- Russian Compfrey. The root of this plant can go down as deep as ten or fifteen feet or more. So, it brings up all the rich minerals, from such depth to the surface of the soil. As the surface roots of this plant decompose, all those minerals become available to the soil. The minerals are also available in the leaves of this plant. The leaves are quite huge as you can see in the picture. You chop of the leaves and spread around the base of other plants as fertilizer. You can also make liquid fertilizer by soaking the leaves in water for about three weeks. And, you can take as much leaves from the plant as you want because the plant is a vigorous grower. Bees love the flowers of the plant. Compfrey leaves are also good for muscles/bones/tendons. Herbalists use all parts of this plant for all sorts of ailments. Apparently the leaves are edible though I never tried. But be careful while buying comfrey. There are two types -- Russian and non-Russian. The Russian ones will never become weed. It's just a large plant of size two by two feet. However, the non-Russians comfrey can become weed as they will occupy your garden by sending suckers and underground rhizomes through everywhere.
The Rhododendron is coming into bloom. When it's in full-bloom, the whole plant gets covered with flowers without any green or branches in sight. It's a really a sight to behold. Bees, butterflies, mockingbird moth flock on it in droves.
I saw this red-squirrel in our garden. It's the usual gray-squirrel of America but instead of having grayish fur, it has reddish fur (much like the British Red Squirrels). Not only the squirrels but the chipmunks also raid the bird-feeders. These are the permanent residents in our garden -- squirrels, chipmunks, rats, mice, birds and with summer comes few snakes (not any poisonous ones but gutter snake type). The visitors list includes deer, raccoon, groundhogs, opossum and stray cats. The bears come in our neighborhood but they have never come into our garden. Alas!!


Update on the Bluejay -- they now have babies. I don't know how many but seems like four or five. One of the jays always sits in the nest and cover the babies up with its body. But in the afternoon it flies away, not for long though, to look for food and water, I guess. I saw both the parents feeding the babies but more food is always brought by the jay that does not live in the nest. They now know me as I have tamed them by giving peanuts. Do you know Bluejays hide most of their food (much like what squirrels do) in various locations? So, they always have a supply of cache of food!! Whenever I provide them with food (various types of nuts), they take those and fly away to the very tops of nearby trees. They also feed on insects. They perch on top of electric cables and then swoop down on ground to catch insects and flies. It's very interesting to observe all their antics. I am also finding that Bluejays are ferocious protectors of their nests. They attack all the big creatures that come anywhere within 30 feet of their nests. I have seen them attacking squirrels and American Robins. And they attack quite viciously -- sweeping down and pecking with their strong beaks. Note the garden tie that's part of their nest. I use these in our garden, and scatter around the unusable ones in the garden. I have noticed that all sorts of birds use all sorts of materials -- sticks, hay, dried and fresh leaves, small plastic wrappers, garden-ties, strings, pet-furs, etc, etc -- to make their nests. So, by scattering some of these around your garden, you will be helping these birds make nests.


Now some random blooms from around the garden -- Star of Bethlehem, Columbine and Flowering-Fern

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, love your flower and critters, especially the little chipmunk peeking from the shadows. Love the lighthouse feeder also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of flowers and animals! "Our" squirrels also have red fur (in the summer). Nice to live close to nature, but I can do well without bears and poison snakes in the garden...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a lovely dogwood--I miss them a lot! I really like your azaleas and that little squirrel is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought that you would like wild gardening:) This Rhododendron must be quite high! We once rented a house for 1 1/2 years that had a garden like this, and I savor the memory. Star of Bethlehem I only know as an indoor plant, but just as beautiful. Do you mean with "it can become weed (the Russian comfry)" that they plant themselves forth aggressively?
    Hubby pre-made some stairs leading down to the barn/studio, and one neighbor offered railroad ties (because I objected to concrete), but the soil on each side of the steps needs to be held with plants with strong and long roots to weather the storms here.
    Can you tell, you're the expert:):) It's really okay, if you don't know, or are not sure. Many thanks for being a part of SEASONS with these beautiful flowers! Have a great week and am looking forward to your next week's post"_

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post! your azaleas are amazing! and very interesting information about the comfrey. have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely garden you have!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for sharing, you have made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for sharing, you have made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Martin Luther King... And I make Art. The Art called: Art for Bee's by the way.

    Found your blog at WATW . You have a wonderful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, your blossoms are gorgeous. Lovely photos. I love seeing the cute birds on the nest, awesome sighting. Wonderful post. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post KL! So many animals around you and are in your garden. Last year I had a birds nesting in my tuja and I always had to remember about them, therefore I was happy when they flew off finally. We have the same type of squirrel here in North, red-fur ones.
    Beautiful garden! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Azalea and Dogwood shot is gorgeous. - I love flowering trees. - Oh my gosh that little chipmunk made me laugh - those cheeks were just stuffed. I enjoy watching squirrels to. You have a lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Were you asking in regards to adoption??? If so, you can contact me at my email address krothaermel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The azaleas, rhododendrons, and dogwoods are all just absolutely beautiful. We used to have all of those in our yard when we lived in Oregon (before we retired and sold our home there), but none of these beauties bloom here in Florida, because it is too hot. (Florida is so different from nearly all of the rest of the United States. It is good to have it warm and dry in the winter and that is why we come here, but I do miss spring!). So I thank you for your beautiful pictures and for the memories of Springs in my past life.

    Oh and you are so lucky to have the blue jay nest in your yard -- I would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My yard is more wild to and the wildlife appreciate us for it... How nice to can watch blue jay babies. Parents bring their babies to the feeders when they are older and show them how to use it. Sooo cute... Not being a gardener, I love your info posts...learning is a good thing.. Thanks KL.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have chipmunks, too, but they more so quickly I rarely catch a photo of them. Everything looks beautiful! I added a variegated comfrey to the garden this spring that I'm excited about. I'm sure the soil is, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just to say hi and hope you are doing okay? Or on vacation? You are missed at SEASONS:) Whenever you get back, am looking forward to see what post you have! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete