MLK Quote

MLK Quote

Nature's Inspiration Movie

http://www.flickspire.com/m/HealthierL433/NaturesInspiration -- Nature's Inspiration Movie: The photographs in this short video are from award-winning photographer, Ken Jenkins, and they are breathtaking. However, this video is much more than beautiful photographs! Peggy Anderson has compiled beautiful quotations from the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, and many others that truly capture the beauty of nature and solitude. Absolute must watch for nature lovers.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Essential or Junks?

Below is the picture of my two Rosemary bushes covered with rice sacks! when the temperature recently dropped to about 11 degree Fahrenheit here. The rice sacks are made of jute (I think they are called burlap here in the USA), and I have been saving those ever since I started gardening. Previously they used to end up in some land-fills. Not only sacks, but I have been saving newspapers, used pots and pans which I don't use any longer and all sorts of plastics tubs and trays and even some aluminium pans. The plastic tubs become where I grow all the seedlings. The pots and pans become where all those seedling-tubs sit in water. I have found that in that way I can consistently maintain the moisture-level of the seedling-soil. I would like to think that I am re-using all these discarded items to save the environment; but in reality I am doing this to save my money. I am a big miser and would need to spend too much money to buy all those professional seed-growing kits. The downside of all these junk-saving is I have to clean my garden shade way too often. Still it remains such a messy place that two tiny white rats take up shelter there among all the junks, chewing up the newspapers and the plastics to construct a nice cosy bed on the pots! Does anyone else save such junks?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, don't get me started on the junk collecting in my garage! Its getting so bad I can only just fit my car in there. One of these days I have to do a clean up :)

    I find that I collect a lot of things with the intention of re-using and they never get used. But the burlap sacks you've used are a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sacks make great winter plant protectors!

    I need to make some time to clear out our every so often. At times I find myself saving something for future use but never really gets used anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guilty as charged!! Anything & everything that even remotely seems re-useable will be stashed away for future use...its just that "the future use" is slow to arrive! :D Thanks for visiting & commenting on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those sacks are great, I think they would be great for planting in also!
    I too save and reuse as much as I can in the garden, haha junk collector for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to cover your rosemary bushes with rice/burlap sacks, hope it helped to protect them from the cold temperatures. I also try to re-use as much as I can, but have to watch out that I don't become a hoarder. I guess it is all about finding a proper balance ;-)!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you successfully overwintered your rosemary via this method, or is this your first year? VERY interested to hear! This year I moved two plants inside my cold frame. The one "control" rosemary is still hanging on in the herb bed, unprotected from the weather.

    What zone are you in Boonton? I am firmly 6B. Did you see the new zone maps that were recently released?

    CSommer

    ReplyDelete