MLK Quote

MLK Quote

Nature's Inspiration Movie

http://www.flickspire.com/m/HealthierL433/NaturesInspiration -- Nature's Inspiration Movie: The photographs in this short video are from award-winning photographer, Ken Jenkins, and they are breathtaking. However, this video is much more than beautiful photographs! Peggy Anderson has compiled beautiful quotations from the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, and many others that truly capture the beauty of nature and solitude. Absolute must watch for nature lovers.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Flower and Garden Show

I went to a flower and garden show yesterday (2/19). This was my first time visiting such a show. I liked it but I expected more. It had lots of stalls but there were only two stalls that had anything to do with garden - one was selling coco-peat and the other was selling seeds; rest of the stalls were selling food, jewelries, stone-handicrafts, etc. There were some garden set-ups based on Alice-In-Wonderland theme; the flowers in the set-up were quite common flowers - tulip, rose, hellebore, primrose - nothing unique. I observed that there were not many identification tags for most of the flowers, trees and shrubs. The set-ups give nice ideas about designing and decorating a garden. Here are some pictures:


Images of some flowers:

And, how can I go to a garden and flower show and not buy something :-)? I got three bags of potato seeds, pepper and gourd seeds and seeds of some not-so-common herb seeds. They are St. John's Wort, Savory, Feverfew, Borage, Cardoon, Pennyroyal and a common herb, Thyme. I could not control myself and bought them, but my research is telling me that some of them are extremely invasive; also, Pennyroyal can supposedly be very toxic. Anyone has any ideas about these herbs? I got them because of their flowers which attract bees. I now have to grow them in pots and also need to learn to control myself from buying all sorts of seeds.

6 comments:

  1. Hi KL,

    Here in Bangalore, Lal Bagh Horticulture throws two flower shows every year. The best part is here they have all sorts of seeds and gardening stalls and they also give out free seeds to encourage gardening. You can get to see as many as a hundred varieties of flowers in any of these flower shows. They are a bliss to eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to a homes & gardens show this weekend - I hope it has more garden stuff than yours. I have grown savoury before, in a pot - it behaved a bit like thyme really. The others I haven't done anything with as I tend to stick to the common culinary herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these photos! I never get tired of looking at photos of garden shows as there are so many lovely ideas to inspire you :) Happy sowing with the seeds you bought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. St. Johns Wort self seeds like mad but they're easy to recognise and pull out what you don't want. Pennyroyal is a member of the mint family so will be invasive. It should'nt be used be pregnany women as it can induce abortion. Thyme is great for teas for respiratory problems, not invasive.Feverfew and Borage self seed too but have pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Where is Bontoon? It's always fun to buy extra seeds in case something doesn't grow as well as you had hoped. It's good to have a Botanical Plan B. I ended up pulling out all of my St John's Wort since it was taking over a bed, but you may have a different type. There are a lot out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sri, I can imagine the varieties that will be there; I am pretty sure there would lots of varieties here also if they had held the show in summer. Now in winter, hardly anything grows here even in greenhouses.

    Hi Liz, you will see a lot, I am pretty sure as it is summer there. Let us know about your experience

    Hi Mark and Gaz, yes, I also went there to get more ideas. I am already learning a lot.

    Hi Bridget, thanks for the information. I am going to plant all these in pots as I don't want invasive species in my garden.

    Hi Casa Mariposa, thank you for dropping by. I can't just control myself, it seems, buying seeds and watching them grow. They are so fun and mind-boggling to watch.

    ReplyDelete